Saturday, June 03, 2006

Old School vs. New School?

Whether you like your muscle cars with or without spinners and chrome wheels, Carrera's newest releases have something for you. If you'll forgive the editorial here... Tuner's or in this case Carrera calls them "Custom" cars are appearing to be heading our way from most manufacturers. To appeal to a wide market most companies are going to release these cars, if the hobby is to grow there needs to be a more modern interpretation of the hotrod available for those that want to buy it. Now they may not appeal to everyone, and that's fine, there are more than enough traditional cars for sale, but these tuners are here to stay. And I'm happy that slot car companies are squarely aiming at a younger market than in the past.


This GTO has fantastic paint, custom spinners, and very low profile tires...a little cruisin' anyone?

I love the huge wing on the rear of this car, and the Plymouth tampo printing really is a great touch on this classic muscle car.

I'm pleased to report that all these cars free from the kind of defects that can drive away a first-time customer. No runs or flaws of any kind in the paint on any of the half-dozen cars sent to me by Carrera USA. In the coming days I'll take these cars out for a spin on the Carrera track at Bud's HO. But, I have to tell you, I'm not expecting any surprises here. Also these cars, or most of them anyway (we'll see which don't seem to fit into the box) will be forwarded to another member of the SCN editorial staff for review...

This initial review has been provided to Slot Car Illustrated as well as Home Racing World. It is the intention of SCN to provide boards with non-biased content for their use. Thanks to Carrera USA for providing the cars for review, without their help this review (the first new review on SCN) would not have been possible.

DaveK

3 comments:

DaveKennedy said...

Thanks a bunch for looking Shawn. It's easy to get good pix when you have cars with cool details to shoot, eh?

Anonymous said...

I really adore classic cars and what people are doing nowadays to customize them. I also like those shows where in people would take a new car model and turn it into a hot rod and make it look like the earlier versions.. I wonder how much they pay for those.

Junior said...

Awesome photos of these cars. I have the yellow and black car great looking, great eye catchers to be honest first time i've seen them i said "WOW' and i even came to terms with myself, have to have them so i purchased them. I don't really race them i just have them for looks to make my collection noticable funny i say. Well these are great looking cars i encourage those who want to add a muscle car to their collection get these they make your collection stand out.