Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dr. V's Slot Car Salon: Monogram Porsche 550 Mille Miglia






Anybody who knows me, knows I am a sucker for Porsches. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, I really like the Monogram Porsche 550 models.
I remember reading an article about the Porsche 904, and how it's four cam roller crank enging came from the Porsche 550 Spyder. I was thrilled to find this 1:1 example in the Rolex Daytona vintage paddock.
The Monogram James Dean "Little Bastard" was too much to pass up on.

If only I could get a 1/32 scale Ford Tudor.

My experience is that these cars can be easily tuned to run sans-mag. I replaced the snap-in mag holder with 7g of lead, attached some lead sheet under the motor box, and subbed in Ortmann tires on the rear wheels. I also cleaned the flash off all 4 wheels. A great albeit fast runner. Good non-mag fun. The Monorev cars are beautiful models. It's a pity I can't get my Shelby Mustangs running as well without mags to save my life.

Pass up on the Avus model of this car. The wheel spats narrow the car's rear track an extra 5mm. The Porsche 550 needs all the rear track it can get!

What's cool about these Monogram Porsche 550 models, is that each is different in some respect. The James Dean car has the sloped front end/headlights whereas the Mille Miglia and LeMans cars have the forward facing headlamps. The #47 car has the toneau cover and bubble windscreen. Great details for the price of these cars.

No comments: